Monday, August 14, 2006

Target and Miracle Mart

Today, my family went to a nearby town to run some errands. I picked up some stuff at Target while my husband had our car serviced at the local Honda dealer. My husband then met me in Target and we hauled our purchases out to the car. I was loading up the stroller into the car when I heard a “pop.” My button had come off my pants and was rolling across the Target parking space. Great. Now I had to hoist up my pants every few steps. My husband told me I was “in” and I looked like those teenagers who wear baggy pants and have to pull them up all the time. Nice. Just the look I want.

Anyway, so, I then head off to get groceries while my husband goes to license a truck of his. As I haul my seven-month-old into the grocery store, I noticed a slight odor. Hmmm. She needs a diaper change. No problem (I’ve changed a few diapers before). I turn towards the ladies room, thankful that Miracle Mart has a nice baby changing station. As I walk into the bathroom, I notice my hand feels moist. I lay my daughter down on the changing table and survey the damage. My hand has poop on it. My shirt has poop on it. My daughter’s pants are filled with poop. Her socks are poopy. I take off her pants and socks and put them in a zip lock bag – there is poop all over the changing table now. Poop is running down her legs. I start wiping. I am going to need a total of at least 50 wipes, and I only have seven.

I strip my daughter down and throw her onesie into the zip lock bag. I pick her up and put her in the sink and start washing her off, all the while hoping that no one would come through the door and see me dumping poop into the sink. I have to keep waving at the stupid paper towel machine to get it to spit out towels. I finally get most of the poop off (and down the drain) and, after wiping off the changing table and drying a baby, I get a new diaper on her. I put a clean onesie on her and breathe a sigh of relief. Wait, I still have poop on my shirt. I wash that off. I now have a big wet spot on my side, but water on my shirt is much better than poop on my shirt.

I get to finish my grocery shopping with falling down pants and a wet shirt.

My husband had one comment:

“I’m sure glad it happened to you and not me.”

4 comments:

Adam Nollmeyer said...

NOT GOOD!

It sounds like it could be an ad for diapers. What brand do you use anyway? I was hoping for some photos, but maybe that would not be good either.

I guess it can only (we hope) get better from here!

~Adam

Joy said...

I use mostly cloth diapers at home, but I happened to be using a disposable brand during the "poop incident." I don't think it would have mattered - there was just too much poop.

Adam Nollmeyer said...

Don't feed 'em so much. hahah

Anonymous said...

You've got the top spot for poopy diaper incident! I'm sure I've had some, but my mind is gracious to me, and those have been forgotten or place deep in the recesses of my mind! :)