
It's fun, and often very exciting, to give two wiggly little people a bath. They usually do very well - he doesn't splash her too much, and she doesn't poke/grab/kick him too much. Maybe that's because I give fairly quick baths (necessary because both of my little people have a mild form of dermatitis).
He is actually becoming very helpful. He hangs the washcloth up and he pulls the plug to drain the tub. Then he asks where the water goes (down the drain, into the basement, out to the septic
tank, and into the drainfield). He helps rub lotion onto his tummy, and doesn't wiggle too much when I put his diaper on. He is staring to be able to dress himself fairly well.Some people tell me that they wish their kids were still little. They get a nostalgic sort of glow as they think back to the blissful era of cuddling babies and adoring toddlers...
They must have NO realistic memory whatsoever of what it was like to actually care for babies and toddlers. Don't get me wrong; I love my kids and enjoy taking care of them. But I also enjoy watching them grow and develop and learn how to do things "by myself!" I do look forward to the day when all my kids can dress themselves and bathe themselves, etc. I don't expect all of my mothering challenges to disappear as they reach grade school - they will just evolve into new challenges - but I do think (or hope) that life will be a little bit less intense. Babies take so much time and energy!!! I just don't think I will ever say "I wish they would just stay little." I am more likely to say that I have enjoyed watching them grow and mature in His time and according to His plan.
No comments:
Post a Comment