I have been thinking a lot about my horses lately. I have three horses: a retired old gelding named Wyatt, a 18ish year old mare named April, and Moonshine, a large young horse that I have had since he was born. I used to ride Wyatt, but he is getting so old that I don't like to ride him much anymore. He is starting to get some joint pain (at least that's what it looks like). I will still put kids on him occasionally, but I like to just let him just eat and hang out. April is okay to ride, but she is a pain to worm or spray for flies, and she can be a bit skittish. Moonshine is great to have, but I don't like to ride him because he is a constant challenge. We don't usually agree on the same destination, so it's a fight to get him to go where I want him to go. Not very relaxing at all. I rode him for a little bit today and it was a challenge.
My plan is to keep Wyatt until he dies. I don't really know what to do with April and Moonshine. I am thinking about selling them and looking for a horse that has better manners (and one that has been worked with a lot), but that would not be a very profitable venture at all. I don't get much time to ride, so should I even have a horse? I really enjoy them, though, even if I don't get to ride them.
But if I didn't have any horses, we would have this empty pasture - and I might just get stuck with some stinky cows. Hmmm, maybe if I named them Hamburger and Steak...
No comments:
Post a Comment