Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Adjustments

I've recently had several people ask me how I'm adjusting to life with four kids.  That got me thinking...

ONE:  The toughest adjustment by far was having one kid.  Just one.  I didn't really know how to take care of a newborn, and I was mourning the loss of my life as I knew it: without kids.  I cried a lot those first two months or so.  I was nervous, very nervous, about taking care of the sweet little guy.  Don't get me wrong; I love my little guy and took care of him the best I could, but my confidence level was very, very low.

TWO:  Two was much easier than one and would have been a breeze except baby #2 had some serious tummy troubles and cried a lot.  Poor little baby.  She struggled with her tummy and didn't sleep though the night until she was a year old.  Lack of sleep does things to a person...let me tell ya!  My confidence level was higher, but I often felt helpless because I didn't know how to make her feel better.  We tried lots of things and eventually she came out of it, but there were a few tough months in there.

THREE: Baby #3's temperament was an answer to prayer.  She was a laid back, happy baby.  Praise the LORD!  The transition from two to three was easier than both the first and second transition.  A sweet baby makes a mommy feel like she's doing a great job.  I felt like I finally might get the hang of this mommy-thing!

FOUR:  I'm still new at this Four thing, but so far, I like it.  A lot.  I am so, so thankful for my new little guy, and the older ones have been great.  This had been the easiest transition so far.  I feel like I know a little bit about being a mommy...although I still mess up quite often and have a lot to learn.  Or maybe I just have some experience being a mommy.  Anyway, I like it.

Thank you, Lord, for my one, two, three, four.

No comments: