I have quite a few memories of Grandpa. I remember him driving the beet digger and motioning at Grandma to drive the truck faster because the beets were falling on the cab (beets hitting the cab are LOUD). I remember him telling stories about the farm and his cows. I remember him playing on the living room floor with the younger grandkids. I remember him getting sick and the family all gathering to take care of him. But the most important memory I have of Grandpa was when I was a freshman in high school, after the cancer had started attacking his body.
Grandpa was sitting up in bed, his body losing the fight against that horrible cancer, and he was talking to me. He paused often, because talking must have taken so much of his energy, and he stopped to cough up blood every few minutes. He told me a few things he thought were important, and he told me to share what he said with my cousins.
He said I should make a list of the qualities I would like in a husband, then live up to them myself. Not the physical qualities, but the deep things; the character traits, attitudes, and goals. If I wanted to marry someone who was godly, kind, and pure, then I should be those things myself. I should hold myself to the standards I would look for in a mate.
Grandpa also stressed the importance of staying pure before marriage. This seems like an obvious thing, but it can be very difficult and it’s so, so important for so many reasons; physically, emotionally, spiritually, medically.
Grandpa’s final piece of advice was to make sure, if you do marry, that you marry someone who really loves the Lord. Really, truly loves and lives the Lord. Not just “saved” and goes to church and knows about God, but someone whose whole life is about bringing glory to God. And make sure you live that first.
1 comment:
i never got to have that talk with a grandpa.
Post a Comment